HOW DOES IT WORK?
MAXALT contains rizatriptan as active ingredient which is a selective 5-HT1B/1D agonist. Rizatriptan, the active ingredient in MAXALT causes
- narrowing of swollen blood vessels around the brain;
- inhibiting the release of chemicals that cause swelling of blood vessels of brain due to which pain occur.
- reduction in the transmission of pain signals to the brain.
WHAT ARE THE INDICATIONS?
MAXALT is mainly used in migraine. It also relieves the symptoms of migraine like nausea, pain and headache. It is not used for other types of headache like tension headaches or cluster headaches. MAXALT is used to treat migraine attacks but it does not prevent migraine attacks.
WHAT IS THE DOSAGE?
MAXALT oral tablets are available in two strengths:
- MAXALT tablets 5 mg
- MAXALT tablets 10 mg
Dosage of MAXALT varies from patient to patient. Use the dose as prescribed by your doctor but it should not exceed 30 mg for a day.
HOW TO TAKE MAXALT?
- Before taking MAXALT or any other medicine always check expiry date on the pack.
- Take MAXALT as prescribed by your doctor. Do not increase or decrease the dose without doctor’s consultation.
- Take one tablet with the onset of symptoms of migraine. Swallow it as a whole with water.
- After taking the first tablet if you still have headache you can take second tablet after an interval of two hours.
- Maximum dose is 30 mg a day. If you still don’t get relief then consult your doctor.
- After taking one MAXALT tablet you should have to wait for two hours to take the second tablet. Do not exceed 30mg for a day.
- You can take it either way that is with or without food but is more effective when taken in an empty stomach.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS?
- Dry mouth
- Heaviness in chest or pressure
- Dizziness or feeling of tiredness, feeling sleepy
Stop taking MAXALT and consult your doctor without any delay if you have a serious side effect like:
- pain or tightness in your neck, jaw or throat;
- pain in chest or heavy feeling, pain reaching to the arm or shoulder,
- sweating, general ill feeling
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- severe headache, confusion, difficulty in vision, speech, or balance;
- Sudden,severe stomach pain and bloody diarrhoea;
- pale or blue-colour hands and feet.
- Serotonin syndrome-Agitation, hallucinations, fever, fast heart rate, overactive reflexes, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, loss of coordination, fainting. (if you are taking an antidepressant concomitantly)
- Serious allergic reaction which includes swelling, itching, rashes of face/throat/tongue severe dizziness, difficulty in breathing.
- Cold hand/feet.
- Feeling weakness on one side of body.
WHAT ARE THE DRUG INTERACTIONS?
Drug interaction can reduce the effectiveness of drug which you are using or it can lead to serious side effects. If you are prescribed with any of the following medicines then inform your doctor before taking MAXALT:
- Ergot containing drugs like ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, methysergide
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like fluoxetine, paroxetine.
- Serotonine norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors.
- MAO (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) likeisocarboxazid, methylene blue, moclobemide, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, tranylcypromine, linezolid, procarbazine.
- Other triptans like sumatriptan,
This document does not contain all possible drug interactions. Keep a list of all the products you use (including prescription/nonprescription drugs and herbal products) and discuss it with your doctor.
WHAT ARE THE CONTRAINDICATIONS AND PRECAUTIONS?
- If you have taken ergot containing drugs or any other triptan medicine in last 24 hours then do not take MAXALT.
- Do not take MAXALT if you have taken any MAO inhibitor in last 2 weeks.
- Tell your doctor about your medical history if you have any of the diseases; asthma, liver disease, stomach/intestine/oesophagus problems (such as bleeding, ulcers, heartburn), heart disease (such as history of heart attack), high blood pressure, stroke, coronary artery disease, angina, kidney problems.
- If you are diabetic or have hypertension or have family history of CAD (coronary artery disease) then consult your doctor before using MAXALT.
- If you have any heart problem your doctor may exam your heart before providing you MAXALT.
- Consult your doctor if you are post-menopausal woman or if you are a man above 40 years of age.
- This medication may make you dizzy or sleepy so do not drive, use machinery, or do any work of alertness.
- Stop smoking if you are taking MAXALT.
- If you have phenylketonuria then do not use Cenforce safe.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, always consult your doctor before taking MAXALT.
- Should be used cautiously in patients of 6 to 17 years.
- Use of any triptan for more than 10 days in a month can cause serious headaches.
- Do not give MAXALT to other family members for simple headaches because MAXALT is only for migraines.
WHAT ARE THE STORAGE CONDITIONS?
Store at room temperature in cool and dry place. Keep away from the reach of children and pets.