WHAT ARE THE INDICATIONS?
For treatment of moderate to severe pain in adults it is used. It is mainly used in medical procedures and surgery. It should not be used for mild or painful conditions of long term (such as arthritis).
HOW IT WORKS?
TORADOL inhibits the enzymes cyclooxyzenase 1 and 2 (COX 1 and 2). This enzyme is responsible for a chemical called prostaglandin which is responsible for the pain and inflammation.
WHAT IS THE DOSAGE?
Dosage depends on patient and the condition in which it is used. Always follow the dosage regimen prescribed by the doctor. It is wise to start with lowest possible dose and that for short duration. This medicine should not be taken for more than 5 days. Its dose is 40 mg a day. Do not increase your dose without doctor’s permission. If after taking it for 5 days, you still have pain then ask your doctor.
Patients of age 17 to 64: 20 mg once followed by 10 mg at an interval of 4-6 hours when required
Patients age ≥ 65, kidney dysfunction, and/or weight less than 50 kg (110 lbs): 10 mg oral once followed by 10 mg at an interval of 4-6 hours when required.
HOW TO TAKE?
Take these oral pills with water at the times prescribed by doctor. In case you feel any stomach pain then take this medicine with food, milk or an antacid.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS?
Consult or tell your doctor in case of any of the following side effects. Some common side effects are:
- Swelling of face, lips, throat, lower legs, knees
- Weight gain
- High blood pressure
- Red spots on skin
- Rashes and itching
- Ulcers and white spots on lips and mouth
- Upset stomach, mild nausea or vomiting
- Dizziness, headache
- Bloating, gas
Rare side effects are:
- Pain in stomach, cramps
- Black stools, blood in stools
- Less urination
- Coughing and vomiting
- Ringing in ear
- Sore throat
- Breathing problems
- Neck stiffness
- Heart failure because of swelling
WHAT ARE THE DRUG INTERACTIONS?
If you are using any other drug or herbal medicine, it can react with TORADOL or it may make your condition more bad or can decrease the effectiveness of the drug. So, your doctor should be informed about your other treatments or drugs prior to starting the therapy with TORADOL.
There is an endless list of the drugs that can interact with TORADOL. Always consult your doctor. Few important drugs which show major interactions with TORADOL are:
- ACE inhibitors like captopril
- angiotensin II receptor blockers like valsartan
- corticosteroids like prednisone
- Diuretics (furosemide, triamterene, hydrochlorothiazide).
- anti-platelet drugs like clopidogrel, warfarin: these drugs can enhance bleeding when combined with TORADOL
- Pain relievers/fever reducers (aspirin, NSAIDs such as ibuprofen or naproxen): These drugs are similar to TORADOL and may increase your side effects if taken together.
- Antiepileptic drugs like phenytoin and carbamazepine: increase chances of seizures .
WHAT ARE THE CONTRAINDICATIONS AND PRECAUTIONS?
- Total duration of administration of TORADOL should not increase for more than 5 days.
- Do not increase the dose without doctor’s consultation.
- Not to be used in infants and paediatric patients of age less than 17 years.
- Should be used carefully in patients with liver and kidney problems
- In patients with long term use of TORADOL, haemoglobin and haematocrit values must be checked regularly because this medicine can cause anaemia. It should also be monitored in patients with other coagulation disorders or on anti-coagulant therapy like taking warfarin.
- Should be used carefully in asthmatic patients or if you have faced any asthmatic problem with the use of NSAIDs in past.
- It can cause serious cardiovascular side effects. So, patient should be aware about that like chest pain, shortness of breath, weakness, difficulty in speaking, and should inform the doctor.
- In case of any allergic reaction like redness, swelling of face, lips and throat seeks medical help.
- Should be avoided during pregnancy and during breast feeding
- It should not be used as other over the counter pain killers and should not be given to any other family members.
- Should not be given during labor or delivery. It increases the chances of bleeding of uterus.
- Should be used carefully in old people with close monitoring.
- Should not be used if you have undergone a Mazzogran bypass surgery.
- Do not drink alcohol or smoke if you are taking TORADOL.
WHAT ARE THE STORAGE CONDITIONS?
Should be stored in a cool and dry place away from the reach of children. Discard any unused part of the drug.